Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Birthdays and memories

Well my youngest will be turning 6 tomorrow.  My only son or as I like to say, "my onliest son".  As i'm doing what moms do and sitting up during the wee hours of the night, baking birthday cookie cake and wrapping up last minute birthday presents and I just can't help to remember back.  Not so much the day he was born, although a very special moment for me and daddy both, but remembering the day we brought him home.  More specifically the ride home.  Ah, the ride. 
As we all know, certain objects, sounds or smells triggers memories in us all but for both my son and youngest daughter I distinctly remember the songs that were playing on the radio in the car while bringing them home.  I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin by explaining how the most perfect songs played at the most perfect time to describe perfectly my feelings for them both.
Katrina was born in March of 2001 (well before hurricane Katrina but they could be one in the same if you've ever seen her room!).  She was my fist baby with Jason and she was absolutely beautiful and perfect.  The song that brings me to tears every time I hear it is a song called "Thank you" by Dido.  A beautiful love song but perfectly explains my feelings for her at that exact moment.

I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
Oh just to be with you 
Is having the best day of my life 

Being already a mom of three girls, what a surprise when we found out #4 was a boy.  And oh boy is he ever ALL boy!  Jackson Wyatt Wayne Wilkerson, a.k.a. Bubba.  He makes me laugh.  Period.  I can't even begin to explain all the trials our family was going through when Bubba came along but I have to tell you that the day we were bringing him home the good ole' Lynyrd Skynyrd  song "Simple Man" came on.  Now us bonfire blazing, boot wearing, southern girls have heard this song a thousand times but it took on a totally different meaning to me that day.  When it got to the last verse I honestly couldn't stop the tears and to this day I can't help but get a little choked up when I hear it.

Boy, don't you worry... you'll find yourself.
Follow your heart, lord, and nothing else.
And you can do this, oh baby, if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

Chorus
And be a simple kind of man.
Be something you love and understand.
Baby be a simple, kind of man.
Oh, won't you do this for me son,
If you can?

Courtesy of Mr. Ronnie VanZant & Gary Rossington

I couldn't have summed it up any better than this song.  What mom doesn't feel that for their son or any of their childen for that matter? 
So as I sit here now listening to my little birthday boys snores, I think back to 6 years ago and how much one song can not only bring me to tears but make me feel hopeful for the many years he has ahead of him.
Happy birthday Bubba, Momma loves you!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Aww bubba is getting so big! Give him and KeKe a BIG hug for me! I miss you all!

Maria said...

Well said!! We miss you Mrs. Laura!!