Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Match stick jar

Hello ya'll

I've found the neatest idea on Pinterest the other day and thought I'd share my version with you.

I hate to throw away jars.  Period.  I save my jelly, pickle and really just any type jar.  For some reason if it's glass I think I must keep it because it'll come in handy some day.

Now I apologize for the picture quality, I've left my camera at my BIL's house and haven't been back to get it.  :(

Here's a cool way to hold those matches from your match boxes.  We bought a pack of like 12 boxes from the dollar store while we were out on vacation and I don't know about you but if we leave those little boxes lying around here and there they get lost, wet, ruined or all of the above.

So I got a Smuckers jar (keep the lid), this one had pineapple ice cream topping in it (yummy!), matches and small square of material (sorry I left out the pic of the material).


I cut the strikers off the side of the match boxes and hot glued one on each side of the jar and saved the rest in case I might need them to replace any worn ones in the future.  I don't see why you can't save them in the jar with the matches.

Hot glued the fabric on the top of the lid and then also around the rim of the lid.  Then I used pinking shears to   cut the fabric down to size.  For all you spray paint fans out there, you know who you are, you could easily paint the lid or also use some chalkboard paint.  This just works for me and I had it on hand!

Fill the jar with the matches and viola!

Easy-easy!  Takes all of 15 minutes.  Of course you will want to be careful when striking the matches and make sure you're striking away from the fabric covered lid.

I've seen these done on a tutorial I found on Pinterest and they used mason jars and took the lids apart and glued some sand paper to the lid to use as a striker.  Cute also!

These will be great in a house warming basket or for hostess gift with a bag of marshmallows, chocolate bars and graham crackers!  You know what I have in mind ;)

Anyway, hope you liked my little tutorial!

I'm going to be linking up with Creative Blog for Get Your Craft On Tuesday
Type A for Anything Goes

Thanks for stopping by and come back anytime or follow along if you like.

You can also find me on Facebook at Monogram Boutique or follow along with me at my Twitter and Pinterest account name "lawilkerson".  Send a shout out and i'll follow you back!

Thanks all and many blessings,
Laura

2 comments:

J said...

I just made one of these this past weekend, isn't this such a cute idea! I'm thinking of making more to keep around to give as small gifts, since it's such an easy project!

mississippi artist said...

Great idea! I can never find matches when I need them. I have been on a smores kick-I have got to stop! But they are too easy to do in the microwave for a quick snack!