Monday, May 2, 2011

Strawberry season

Hey ya'll
Well there's more, yes more, bad weather headed our way.  On top of cleaning up from last weeks storm, everyone around us is flooded. The mighty Mississippi is at record high right now.  I've never seen it this high before.  Most of Memphis is flooding as we speak and downtown is in danger of going under also.
We're blessed that none of our family or friends have been affected.

Here's a picture of downtown Memphis at during the Memphis in May, Beale Street Music Festival.
May not look like much to most but it's about 8 more feet from being flooded and there's a whole park down
 that grassy hill along with Mud Island off to the far left that's under water.

photo from Commercial Appeal by Mike Maple

Since everything is gloomy around here and I knew bad weather was coming through again, me and Katrina went to Brownlee Farms Saturday and bought some strawberries while my UPS man and Bubba stayed home to help our neighbor cut up his tree that fell earlier this week.  You can see that here.  It was a lot of tree, for sure!

Here's Katrina holding one of the flats we bought.  They were such big strawberries and I think there was only a handfull out of both flats that were a little too squishy.

So Sunday afternoon I cleaned out what jars I could find and canned some jam.

If you've never made any before it's really not as hard as some think.

For strawberry jam it's just 2 cups of mashed up hulled strawberries, 4 cups of sugar and 1 box of Sure Jell.
You can mash up the strawberries with a potato masher or put in the blender.  If you put in the blender or food processor make sure you pulse on lowest setting cause you are gonna want bits and pieces of the fruit in the jam.

Just put the 2 cups of strawberries and box of sure jell and bring to a roiling boil.  Add 4 cups of sugar, stir fast and then bring to a full roiling boil again.  Spoon into clean jars and seal. 
Here's where they say to put the jars in a hot water bath but I just make sure my jars are just out of the hot water and dry and the seals and screw lids are fresh out of hot water but dry.  When you tighten the lids down real good while they are still hot they will seal without putting them in a hot water bath.  I've done the water bath only a couple of times for my salsa and canned tomatos but rarely use that process if I don't have too.

Here's what I got done with and then didn't have any more Sure Jell.  I'll have to run out tomorrow if the weather lets me and get some more.  I froze about 5 gallon size zip lock bags of strawberries and still have a bowl full waiting to can up another batch of jam.

I love making jams and jellys, canning tomatos and salsa and they all make really great gifts.  Throw a cute little kitchen towel in a basket with a jar of jam and maybe some homemade biscuits and you got yourself a great and very appreciated hostess or get well gift.

Oh have to show you Katrina's cute derby hat and matching tote bag we found at Target.  The hat and bag were $2.00 each in their little dollar section so I picked up a couple hats.  I'm gonna try to monogram her initials in it like I've been seeing online lately.  I'll have to let ya'll know how they turn out :)  It's it amazing how a trip to Target just about makes everything better :) well at least for Katrina :)

Hope you all have a wonderful day and all are staying safe!

I'm joining Ms. Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for her Metamorphis Monday
Ms. Kara at Elements Interiors for Whassup Wednesday
come on by and join in
:)
Many blessings,
Laura

3 comments:

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Oh Laura I hope this finds you and your family safe from the latest storms. I am calling to check on a storm shelter today!!! Those strawberries look wonderful. My hubby would have a field day with those. He loves strawberries, and I am dying to try makinmg some strawberry jam if our's ever make.

Rettabug said...

Those are some awesome strawberries, Laura! I've done the freezer jam before & you're right...nothing like it!

I'm glad your home & family have not been harmed by the recent storms.

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. I appreciated them & your visit.

fondly,
Rett

mississippi artist said...

They had strawberries on sale at Walley World and I boughtsome to put in the freezer. They are so good in the middle of winter!I have been making blueberry jelly from last years blueberries that were left in the freezer-getting ready for the fresh ones coming soon.