Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fightin' Mad

I don't think I have ever posted anything negative or depressing, so I apologize in advance if this brings anyone down but I just have to say it....

I'm mad....

Fightin mad....

And at no one in particular but myself :(

Of course this only really happens when someone doesn't think my children are as wonderful and talented as I do.  Isn't that a switch that gets installed in all us moms?  An automatic fightin' mad switch that gets flipped on in a millisecond when we feel our children are being mistreated, hurt or just plain ole misunderstood.

I've struggled with Katrina going through school since Kindergarten.  That first year was hard for us all.  We moved in with my MIL to help take care of her, she then passed away, lots of attention other places besides Katrina or her school work.  She struggled and they wanted to keep her in Kindergarten another year.  Um, no way.
Of course we moved her to 1st and her teacher was AWESOME.  Worked with her endlessly and did many one on ones and testing until we finally figured out.  She was ADD.  Could have been many other worse scenarios but still a little blow to us all.  After a couple of not so great meds, we found the right one for her and she's done well ever since.  We did keep her in a 1st and 2nd transition class the next year to help her build up her reading skills that she missed out on learning at the beginning of the year.  It did wonders for her :)

Needless to say, she's thriving now.  She's a great student (not straight A's) but she listens, does her work, takes pride in what she does and most importantly is kind to all.

Now here we are with my baby boy, my only boy.  Bubba.  Mr. All I wanna do is go fishing with daddy.  When's turkey season, is it deer season yet?  We need to get a new tire for the 4-wheeler. 
He is a loyal friend, loves to give hugs and has always been all boy.  My boy :)

My boy who got a note sent home today wanting to hold him back in Kindergarten for another year!  Here we go again!  I knew Bubba was ADD like Katrina maybe a little more on the ADHD side but I didn't want to put him on meds unless we absolutely had to.  And as it turns out, we did.  He got a late start at the beginning of school but once we got situated on the meds he's done better, much better I think.  I guess I'm the only one who does.

I adore his teacher and respect all teachers, for their jobs are difficult, but I just can't see holding him back.  Not kindergarten!  He already has a late birthday so if we did this then he'll be almost 8 when he starts 1st grade!  My heart breaks.  The poor thing has withered away to almost nothing because he won't eat because of his meds.  I wish I had that problem!  His teacher came to the car with him the other day and said he'd been throwing his lunch in the trash and not eating anything!  His pants are just hanging on him :(  The Dr. said to take him off the meds for the Summer, which is what i've done for Katrina in the past and will absolutely do for him also.  Poor thing looks like he's starving and you can seriously count his ribs.  When he has been off his meds he eats us outta the house!

I have to fill out this form and send back in to school denying their offer for him to spend another year in Kindergarten.  Looks like we'll have to do some tutoring over the Summer, which I'm sure he'll hate me for!!! 
Ugh!  What did I do wrong!
I'm definitely not winning "Mom of the year" award :(

On a brighter note, the sun came out today, there's no more rain, all the water is pumped out of the basement, my mom's house is dry and safe and the reopened WalMart.  :)

Sorry for such a long, no fun at all post.

I'm off to make spaghetti and pour a glass of wine.

Many blessings,
Laura

3 comments:

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Oh girl I wish I could help, but I can't. I can say a prayer for you and your family, which I will be happy to do!

mississippi artist said...

It sure hurts when someone doesn't think our children are the best. Just don't let someone push you into something you don't feel in your heart is right. I will say a prayer that everything works out.

Tricia said...

As a former elementary teacher and current educational researcher, I think you are doing absolutely the right thing. The research is clear that holding kids back does more harm than good. Your idea to pursue tutoring is a wise one, and if you could find a teenaged boy your son admires, that would be perfect. I also suggest that you spend a lot of time this summer reading books he'll enjoy. My son always loved non-fiction, which wasn't fun for me, but we went with HIS preferences! Best wishes!