Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Suggestions and advice, please?

Hello all!  Hope you're having a wonderful week.

I don't think I have ever mentioned that about 5 years ago we were sorda living out of boxes.  We had made some tough decisions to pack our house up and store everything and move in to help out my MIL before her passing.  For 3 years now we're finally at the end of unpacking some last boxes and stored items.  I know 3 years sounds like a long time but believe me if your constantly renovating an old home and trying to combine, clean and sort through 2 households and almost 40 years of hoarding collecting stuff it does take a while.
 
Anyway, I found this copper pitcher or pot or I don't know what it really is.  Do any of you have any ideas.  It's pretty big but not at all heavy.  Still in good shape and needs a major cleaning, which I have no idea how or where to begin cleaning on copper. 
 
I like this lion
 
and the blue and white ceramic handles.....If anyone out there has any idea how to go about cleaning something like this, i'd appreciate you leaving a comment or messaging me.  I could use the help. 

I also can across these hand painted silk prints.
  My husband got them about 15 years ago from work...someone was throwing them away so he gave them to his mom and now they're back in our hands. 
They're awfully wrinkled and i'm very afraid of ironing them and possibly ruining them.  I don't really know what to do with them right now.  I do love the flower prints and thought about framing them.  All the pieces measure like 24x24.  Any ideas?
 
Well, I'd love to hear back from you all with any suggestions or advice!

Thanks and many blessings,
Laura

4 comments:

xinex said...

I like unpacking boxes, it's like shopping again. Love your newly unpacked items. The copper pot can be used as a planter or to hold firewood. Your comment about the flowers made me laugh, lol....Christine

mississippi artist said...

What great finds. There is a website -everbright.net/copper_cleaner.html it has homemade copper cleaners that work as well or better than bought ones. I think this item is a coal carrier, from when people used coal in their fireplaces. The silk pieces are beautiful!!! Could you not set your iron to the silk setting and iron them?

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Ooooh Laura, I am loving the big copper pot! I have no idea how to clean copper, but it is definately a keeper! Lucky you

daphne @ flip flops and pearls said...

Mercy Girl, I have no idea how to clean that. This is when i would have to call my granny, LOL!

Good Luck though-
Have a fantastic Thursday:)