Friday, April 15, 2011

~Chocolate & Gold Ribbon Cake~

I know, I know I post way too many desserts....I promise next time it'll be something um with no sugar in it....maybe :)

I have to tell you I have a couple of obsessions.....fabric and cook books....any cook book.  I probably have about 83 now and I finally got room in the kitchen for the last box of books to be displayed.  As I was trying to put them up I couldn't help but look through this one.  I told my daughter to pick something out that looked good and here's what we got....It is quite delicious and definitely worth the time.  Oh and it makes you look like a million bucks.  I think I even got a kiss for this one ;)

Chocolate and Gold Ribbon Cake

Cake
1 1/2 tbs unsweetened cocoa
1 tbs instant espresso powder (this is totally optional)
1 1/2 tbs warm water
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 3/4 c sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c unsalted butter (room temp)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c sugar
4 large eggs
1 c buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter 2 9 inch round pans. 

In a small bowl stir together the espresso, cocoa, water and almond extract until smooth and set aside.

Sift the cake flour with the baking soda and salt and set aside

In a large blow, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth.  Add the vanilla and sugar until fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time and beating after adding each.

On low speed add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the buttermilk until batter is smooth.  Spoon 1/2 the mix in one cake pan.  Stir the espresso-cocoa mixture thoroughly into the remaining batter and scrape out into the other cake pan.

Bake for 30 to 35 mins or until knife inserted comes out clean.  Cool in the pans for about 10 mins and then transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.
Now go make the frosting :)

Frosting

1 12oz bag semisweet chocolate morsels
8 tbs unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c confectioners' sugar
4 large eggs

Melt the chocolate (I did it in the microwave but you can do this on a double boiler).  In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar and beat on low speed until incorporated then beat on medium speed for about 1 min.  On medium-high add the eggs one at a time beating for 1 min after each egg.  Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until smooth and creamy about 1-2 mins.
Use a serrated knife to cut the chocolate layer and yellow layer in twos or you can leave as just two cakes.  Frost between each layer and then the outer of the whole cake.  
The frosting on this cake really makes the cake.  

I hope you get a chance to try this and enjoy it.

I'm joining my girl Daph over at Flip Flops and Pearls for her recipe swap :)  come on over ya'll
Have a wonderful weekend!

Many blessings, 
Laura 

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Yum! I'd love to try some of that chocolate frosting! :)

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Yum! Can you send me a piece of that before I have to head to the gym? I take it ya'll survived these awful storms we have had all day since you posted. Have a great week-end.

mississippi artist said...

Looks delicious. I know what you mean about cookbooks- I probably have close to 200- I can take one to bed and read it like a novel. I just got a new one in the mail today-Martha Foose's A Southerly Course. I love the stories she puts in her books. I adore her Screen Doors and Sweet Tea cookbook-fabulous stories and recipes!

xinex said...

The cake looks so moist and delicious, Laura. I am not sure when is the right time to dig the plants but I can imagine you can do it just before spring or early spring....Christine

SavannahGranny said...

Oh my, that looks SO good. I may just try that one.
Thanks for you visit. Hugs, Ginger

xinex said...

Looks yummy, Laura!...Christine

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady, look so yummy sweet lady~~~ looks like you are a Great cook. would you like to move in with us. I would like to thank you so much for your lovely comments on my new Easter Tablescape and becoming my newest follower on my Blog. I hope you and your family have a Great Easter !!!
xxoo
Diane