Monday, March 7, 2011

Cream cheese pound cake

My family is a sweet family.....what I mean is they love sweets.  My UPS man he craves sweets and the little ones love almost any type of dessert, well except Bubba, he doesn't like chocolate anything.  I myself am not big on sweets.  I like fruity things.  Decorating wedding cakes for years kinda burnt me out on the whole love of "cakes/cupcakes".
On occasion I do have to make a cake or two and one of my new favorite cakes is the pound cake.  You can do so much with the basic pound cake recipe and here's one that I've added a few twists of my own.

Strawberry & Cream Cheese Pound Cake
(this is a little heavy pound cake and as my daughter says "buttery" but delicious)

1 1/2c butter (softened) [you can use 1 c of butter and 1/2c of shortening but I prefer butter]
3 c sugar
1 (8oz) pack of cream cheese (softened)
6 large eggs
3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c chopped fresh strawberries

Preheat oven to 350.
You'll want to make sure your butter and cream cheese is at room temp.  It really makes a difference when trying to cream.  Cream butter and gradually add sugar until fluffy.
Add cream cheese to butter and sugar until creamy (doesn't get better than butter, sugar and cream cheese :)!
Add eggs 1 at a time blending after each egg.
Gradually add flour (keep it on low speed and don't forget to scrape the sides down)
Stir in vanilla extract.
Fold in strawberries by hand.  Don't use the mixer or it'll mash up the strawberries and you're gonna want good whole pieces.
Pour into a buttered tube pan and bake for 1 hour.  (I had to go a little over an hour.  Just watch the cake and test before you cut the oven off)
Let the cake completely cool before you try to take it out of the pan.  The cake is what I call a "heavy" cake so you'll want to loosen around the edges with a knife before inverting on a stand or plate and it will remove easier if it's completely cool.
Serve with a couple of fresh strawberries and some fresh whipped cream.
Delicious!
I also do this cream cheese pound cake with fresh peaches or blueberries (frozen will work also) and you could always leave out the fruit for just a delicious cream cheese pound cake.

Hope you enjoy!

Many blessings,
Laura

5 comments:

Kristin said...

O my cream cheese stars!
This looks yummy! My family loves sweets! I am going to have to make this. Maybe even today!
Thanks for sharing!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Oh my! I am not a great baker, and this sounds absolutely divine. Could you just slice a couple pieces off and have it delivered to my front door? :)

Jumping Jack said...

I'm not a big sweet person either, but this sounds AWESOME! You had me at cream cheese! :)

{new follower}

Kristy said...

This sounds like it would taste absolutely delicious! Cream cheese and strawberry were meant for eachother ;)

Daphne (Flip Flops and Pearls) said...

Oh mercy! I am printing this right.this.minute:)

Looks and sounds divine.

Thanks for linking up!

I will be doing it again in 2 weeks. {semi monthly}

Have a blessed weekend, Daph