Thursday, March 31, 2011

~Coconut crazy~

Hey ya'll!

Thought i'd share a coconut cake recipe with you guys.  This came from Martha Stewart cookbook but I've tweaked it a little. 

And this is the before picture.....scroll on down to see the aftermath!


Coconut Cake
1 c milk (you can sweeten up this milk by heating it up with 1/2 c coconut and then straining out the coconut and let completely cool before adding it to the recipe.  I just use plain milk and it does just fine)
1 c shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups sifted cake flour (this is the best flour to use..if you don't have cake flour you can use 3 cups all purpose flour sifted with 1/4 c cornstarch)
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites

Preheat your oven to 350.  Grease your pans.  I use the 8 inch round pans.  You can use 9 inch square pans. 
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla.  Sift the flour with baking powder and salt.  Beat into the butter mixture alternating with the milk.  Mix in the coconut.

Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.  Fold gently into the cake mixture.  This is important not to beat too much or handle too much.  This is going to make your cake as light as air.  Divide the mix between the pans.  Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean..  Let cool and then turn out on racks and let it cook completely before icing.

I like to ice this cake with a seven minute icing.  It's easy, not too rich and everyone loves it.

Seven Minute Icing
1/2 c shredded coconut
3 egg whites
1 3/4 c sugar
5 tbs cold water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar in  the top of a double broiler.  I just use an old pot and fill it half way with water and fit a glass bowl in it.  Make sure the water isn't touching the bowl, if so just pour some out.  Get out the electric mixer and get ready.
Set your timer for 7 minutes!
Beat the egg white mix for the 7  minutes.  By now it should be looking like a thin icing.  Be careful and remove it from the heat, add your vanilla and continue beating (off the heat) until fluffy and glossy!  You can do one of three things now.
1.  Get a spoon and just eat it straight from the bowl (not that i've done this)
2.  Ice your coconut cake and then sprinkle the coconut on while still wet.
3.  Carefully fold the coconut into the icing and then ice the cake.
Any way is going to be delicious!

Enjoy!

Here's the aftermath a.k.a. my UPS man!  That poor man had been smelling this baking since lunch and had to head out the door to work, so I sliced a big ol' piece and wrapped up and sent with him to work but he still couldn't stand it!  If you look closely you can see the fork mark on the side of the cake where he carved a big chunk out of the cake for an on-the-go bite!  He said "baby, i'm sorry, I just couldn't wait!" 
He's so crazy :)

Thanks for stopping by and come back anytime!

I'll be joining Daph over at Flip Flops and Pearls on Friday for her Recipe Swap so come on over and join in with me :)
Hope you all had a wonderful week!

Many blessings,
Laura

7 comments:

Kristin said...

You always post such great cakes!
This one would be loved my husband! He is a huge lover of coconut!
Thanks for sharing Laura and have a great weekend!
p.s. Loved the 8o's tribute! ;o)
Kristin

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Laura, that is one of my favorite desserts, and your cake looks fabulous! THanks for sharing the recipe with us. I would love to try it.

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I think I posted on the wrong post, but I adore this cake. Thanks for your recipe!

XO,

Sheila :-)

xinex said...

I don't blame your UPS man at all, it looks so good, Laura, lol. I am copying the recipe cause hubby loves anything with coconut. In fact, I just finished baking coconut oatmeal cookies...Christine

Kristy said...

Ha ha! Yep, I see the fork mark! In his defense, it does look too good to wait!! :)

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

We are big coconut lovers. This looks wonderful So nice you love to cook and bake like this. You know me not so much..I can clean though:) Have a great weekend.

Grannys Attic said...

OMG this is my hubby's favorite he loves coconut!!! Thanks so much for sharing and leaving sweet comments on my blog. I just became your newest follower. Blessings, Vicky