Saturday, January 22, 2011

~Decorative element tutorial~

Hey ya'll! 
Well I'm sure if any of you have checked out some of the decorative blogs out there, then you've seen these worn out book bundles.  I've seen a couple of blogs that have tutorials on how to do these also.  So here's my version.
  I actually have the Pottery Barns new catalog and they have them for sale for a whopping $39!  First of all I don't think I could EVER spend $39 on a worn out "book bundle".  Second, why would I when they're so easy to make. 
Here's a picture of the one from the Pottery Barn catalog. 
Book Bundle

and here's where I started......
I just grabbed some old "love story's" from the book exchange.  I hit the .25 stacks so it won't hurt my feelings when I do a little damage to them. 
Easy....easy....just rip the covers and sides off...I kept the title page visible on some of them and one I kept the dedication page visible.....I used my tea bags from earlier today when I made some sweet tea :) Rub the front, sides (all four) and back, then I fanned them out a bit so they would stand up to dry. 
I had the bright idea to burn the edges on one....not sure what I was thinking but I kinda like it....note:  do not try to blow the flame out on the book it will make it burn more....duh, Laura! 
I've seen them wrapped in twine but I didn't have any so I grabbed some ribbon and went to town with that! 
I've had this "hope angel" book mark laying around for a while.  Thought it's be appropriate for Valentines Day coming up.
I already had the basket and the other natural elements (not sure what you really call that stuff) I got from the Dollar Tree.  When you see that stuff in there you better grab it because it'll be gone when you go back!  I grabbed a couple of bags.
There you have it!  Cost me about $3.50....compared to $39 just for the books at Pottery Barn you can't beat it and it only took me about an hour from start to finish.  That's Gerttie in the background and she's teething so I'm pretty sure she's thinking about jumping down and grabbing her a treat from the new pretties basket.  Man!  You gotta watch that little stinker :)

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend!
I'll be joining
Elizabeth at Sew Chatty for Made With Love Monday
Debbie at Debbiedoos Blogging and Babbling for the 1st Share Your Pet Partay
Carrie at Dittle Dattle for Amaze Me Monday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Susan at BNOTP on Thursday for Tablescape Thursday 

Enjoy and many blessings,
Laura

5 comments:

Kristin said...

That is s super cute idea!

Sarah said...

That is awesome!!! I love it!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh yours look so much better than theirs. I love the burned edges, very clever. I still havn't made any, but I need to. Hugs, Marty

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

Fabulous! They look like they came from a high end boutique :D

Rachel Murphy said...

Wonderful job! Love it. May just have to try this one.