Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Timeless Table

Thought I'd show you another surprise we came across while cleaning out this old house.

Dishes :)

We knew my MIL had this set.  She had brought them back from Italy while they had been stationed there in the military.  My husband came many, many, many years after that little trip.  He was a late, late, late in life surprise!
The plates were in her china cabinet but the dessert plates, saucers and I guess they are bread plates maybe, they were tucked away in a cabinet unknown and hidden.  I'm guessing they had coffee cups with them but i'm not sure where they could be.
It's really weird there's like 9 plates, 4 dessert plates, 8 bread plates (i guess that's what they're for) and 4 coffee cup saucers....who knows what's up with that!


They are kinda delicate so we don't use them.  They have these little delicate "flowers" on them, if you wanna call them that.  They remind me of those dandelions that you pick up and make a wish and blow and all the little white fuzzies float away (then mom comes out fussin' to stop cause it makes them spread and grow more! oops).  They have a gold trim and there's one plate that has a little chip on the edge but still all in pretty good shape.
It has a gravy boat too...I've never seen one attached to a saucer but this one is....At first I thought it was just stuck but um, it's not
Here's the stamp on the back...it reads...
Eschenbach
Bovaria Germany
101
I thought i'd add these to some of my dishes I found at an estate sale
I love my green plates!!!! They are a real soft green and I think just beatuiful!  They're heave and thick too.  Not a scratch or chip :)
I don't know anything about my plates other than I got 4 of them for $15 at an estate sale and my girlfriend thought I was CRAZY!  She just don't understand but i'm sure some of you do :)  They have Made in Italy stamped on the back but no other markings.
Here's one of my snowmen and tree that I got after Christmas a couple of years ago from Walmart.  I think he's very handsome!  My son want's to know why he doesn't have a carrot nose or black eyes....I told him
he was a fancy snowman....he seemed to accept that excuse!  Whew!
I had to let the baby deer come join us for this setting.  He has a momma and daddy that are Christmas decorations.  The glasses I got from World Market (during their closeout sale...BOO!)  I loved that place.
I hope you all enjoyed your stay and I hope you come back and visit me soon.  Like most of you, I'm going to be busy, busy, busy the next 7 days.  I'll definately do my best to check in on you all when I can.
If you're not yet a follower, i'd love for you to follow me if you can.
Thanks for your time and if you have an extra moment, leave me a comment!

Many blessings,
Laura








7 comments:

Aledia said...

Hi Laura!
I am your newest follower! I have to say I just LOVE your green plates from the estate sale, those are BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing and have a blessed week!

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Hi there, a "good ole" Mississippi girl I see. Me too. I checked out your profile, and we are not too terribly far from each other. I am a new follower. Welcome to blog land. I am still learning myself. Stop by and visit when you have time. Love those chunky green plates.

Tricia@The Dull and the Dutiful said...

How wonderful to find your mother-in-law's dishes from so long ago! My grandmother's wedding china (now mine) also has not one but TWO gravy boats with the attached bottom plate. It does make it easier to pass around the table!

Sharing Shadymont said...

Laura,

I love your dishes. I've been finding all kinds of goodies while going through my late MIL's 'stuff'. I'm now following you through Google, Friend Connect. Would love it if you visited and decide to follow me as well. Looks like we're both fairly new to the blog world. I'm loving it!

Blessings and Happy Holidays,

Kathy
http://sharingshadymont.blogspot.com

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh your tablescape makes me feel merry and bright!

Seasons greetings to you and yours.

Marigene said...

Great table using family treasures...the green plates are gorgeous!

Entertaining Women said...

Aren't family treasures just the very best! I'll bet that you can do a search for the maker on eBay and find more of your family treasures. Everything looks wonderful, and you got a great get on your green estate sale purchase. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay