Sunday, December 5, 2010

Good food, good drinks, good friends and a darn good parade!

We are lucky enough to live in the oldest part of town where the court house, city hall and Old Towne square and all it's lovely antique shops reside.  Sounds like it might be busy and noisy but it's really not. Actually, it's quite nice....lots of old houses (especially ours) and quiet neighbors. The holidays are so beautiful around Old Towne....all the shops decorated, the Christmas tree lit up at City Hall, all the light posts decorated with big beautiful bows...all for Christmas!    As luck would have it, the annual town Christmas parade goes by our house, so we've been having a little get-to-gether for the past few years.  This year the boys decided to go hunting and cutting some wood (since it's supposed to be in the 20's next week!  brrrr) instead of having fun with us gals at the parade.  Here's some of what they missed out on!

~Menu~
Oven Ham Sammies
Marmalade Meatballs
Shore Is Good Seafood Dip (courtesy of Ms. Paula Deen)
Cranberry Bliss Bars
Chex Mix
Champagne Punch (Thanks Ms. Yvonne!)
Coffee and Assorted Juice


I have to tell you Starbucks makes a Cranberry Bliss bar at Christmas time and it is to die for!  You can't go wrong with cranberreis and white chocolate!  Well around here if you don't get them when the truck delivers you're outta luck.  :(  So I've searched and searched for this recipe and finally found the coolest website that houses "favorite restaurant" recipes. http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.php  This is a great cake for tea or coffee luncheons and worth the effort!  Side note:  Next time I make it I will bake it in a jelly roll pan to make it thinner....the recipe calls to bake in a 9x13 which was still delicious but I found too thick.


Champagne punch anyone?  This recipe comes from Ms. Yvonne at Stone Gable and was easy and absolutely delicious.  Ms. Yvonne, I didn't even get a chance to make the Egg Nog Smoothie recipe you had cause they had such a fit over this punch!  You were right.....DOUBLE this recipe!

Coffee for sure!  Hot chocolate for the little ones........

My husbands niece came to the parade and she couldn't believe some of the decorations.  This house was her Granny's house and some of the Christmas decorations we found hidden behind a wall in the attic.  These reindeer's were one of them.  My niece said she remembered them from when she was a little girl and couldn't believe they were still around.  Of course, big daddy deer has an antler or two missing but they are in fairly good shape for what they've been through.

This ceramic Santa is another of my mother-in-laws Christmas decorations.  He stance about a foot and 1/2 tall.  She gave him to me the first year we were married.  She gave me a much larger one many years later (i'll post that pic later).  I think Santa knows what i'm getting this year!

Mr. Snowman holding my everyday Christmas dishes!  For $3 Mr. Snowman is not a bad find and a tremendous help!

A last year purchase at Hancocks for $1.50 after Christmas sale......My Santa salt and pepper shakers.


One of my favorite ornaments.  My Willow Tree "family" ornament.  I have two of these and keep one on my kitchen tree so I can see it often since that's where I spend most of my time!

 On to the parade!  That's my girl, Katrina (we call her Keke) watching the high school band go by and the little one is Kilee my little great niece.  This was her first parade and she was amazed by it!  I love to watch their faces!  So precious.
 One of my older daughters, Hayley and our newest addition to the family, Gerttie....this was her first parade too.  It took a while to get used to the loud noise but I think she'll want to come again next year.

We all had a great time, made wonderful memories and got a good dose of Christmas spirit!  If you get a chance to check out your local parade this year I highly advise you grab a blanket, thermos of hot chocolate and a chair and go check it out!  Young or old it brings back lots of good memories for me and makes lots of new ones also.  By the way, as of the time of this post, the boys haven't gotten a deer yet!  Maybe next weekend. :)

Come back and visit me again on Thursday for Tablescape Thursday at BNOTP, I'll be doing a table with some Christmas dishes I found behind a wall!  I'll also be joining BNOTP for Metamorphis Monday's "Deck The Halls", go check it out, there's some really inspiring decorating ideas floating around out there....  You never know what you'll found around here!

4 comments:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Laura, It looks like the food and the company were glowing! Wonderful time I'm sure! I'm so happy you liked the champagne punch!
Yvonne

Jane said...

How fun! Love the dish set...don't you just love after-Christmas sales?

Jane
frugalfineliving.com

Honey at 2805 said...

Food and punch really grabs my attention!

Pamela said...

I love your blog! What are Oven Ham Sammies?